Texas Education Agency Connect Texas Program
HtFixed broadband internet for economically disadvantaged K-12 households
Alpine, TX BBT (Big Bend Telephone) is proud to announce that we have been selected as one of multiple internet service providers in Texas to participate in the Texas Education Agency Connect Texas (TEACT) Program. This new program will ensure that students across the state will have access to the internet for remote learning. BBT will offer fixed broadband internet to economically disadvantaged K12 households in BBT’s service area. BBT was selected for this program because of the company’s depth, breadth, and quality of resources necessary to offer the required internet service.
Through cooperative contracts BBT will work with OMNIA Partners, a provider of shared services and supply chain optimization to government, education, and the private sector. In partnership with the Texas Education Agency (“TEA”), Region 4 ESC will be responsible for administering the TEA Connect Texas Program. BBT will enter into contract beginning August 1, 2021– July 31, 2024 to provide internet services as specified in the program.
Over the past 61 years, BBT has provided quality voice, high-speed broadband and advanced business services to thousands of customers in West Texas’s vast remote territory. BBT is the only fiber-based provider in the many rural communities served, and its service area covers 18,000 square miles, including 485 miles of border with neighboring Mexico. BBT is committed to providing the fastest speeds and most reliable voice service possible.
“All of us here at BBT are fully committed to pursuing every opportunity available to help the students within our serving area achieve their full potential,” said Russell Moore, BBT General Manager/COO.
TEA Connect Texas Program Basics
The TEA Connect Texas program is specific to Texas kindergarten through 12th grade. Services include internet access and any necessary equipment to provide wired broadband connectivity to support the TEA Connect Texas program.
- Bandwidth speeds: Minimum of 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps uploaded
- Content filters that meet the Child Internet Protection Act (CIPA) standards.
- Data caps: Unlimited data usage with no data throttling.
Who Qualifies for the Program
- The TEA Connect Texas Program provides free wired broadband internet service to underserved and rural households, and it is designed to service economically disadvantaged students.
- TEA Connect Texas Program will not require personal contact information or credit information from the individual households. This will be accomplished through the school districts administration of the program using a student identification number.
- As for broadband provider, BBT will not require personal information of eligible students or their guardians other than address information and permissions necessary for installation.
For more information please contact, Russell Moore or Tucker Gandy, 1-800-592-4781.