BBT's fiber network is expanding
Over the past 60 years, BBT (Big Bend Telephone) has provided quality voice, high-speed broadband and advanced business services to thousands of customers in West Texas’s vast remote territory. BBT is the only fiber-based provider in the many rural communities served, and its service area covers 18,000 square miles, including 485 miles of border with neighboring Mexico. BBT is committed to providing the fastest speeds and most reliable voice service possible.
BBT fiber brings you:
- The fastest, most reliable Internet available.
- No data caps or throttling.
- Same fast speeds for upload/download.
- Better Wi-Fi for learning and working from home.
- Unlimited streaming and gaming. Plus you can zoom on multiple devices at the same time – no interruptions.
- The best connection for home security systems.
Click here to find out more about BBT fiber Internet in your area.
Why fiber Internet is so important to our area
Fiber optics is the best technology available for voice and data – it is reliable, future proof and also provides increased security and value. Access to high-speed broadband is especially important to rural communities. This access allows people to live in small towns while working from home. Business and economic growth are dependent on fast connectivity. Health and medical services share information and resources that can be life-saving. Fiber-fed communications systems deliver information on weather, traffic alerts, and critical safety updates.
BBT also supports rural education by providing access to essential technology for students, teachers, and administrators in the Region 18 school districts as well as Sul Ross State University. Much of the area’s public safety relies on BBT fiber technology, including 911 projects with Rio Grande Council of Governments and Permian Basin Regional Planning Commission. This technological evolution requires investment in a fiber optic infrastructure in order to deliver these critical services.
In a nutshell, fiber internet is better because:
- It’s the most reliable broadband available
- Speeds up to 1 Gig are available – stream, game, chat on multiple devices—all at the same time!
- A state-of-the-art network, fiber it ready for future communications and broadband needs
- It provides superior voice services
- It is easier and more cost effective to maintain
- For homeowners or residents, this upgrade can increase the value and attractiveness of property. National averages of up to $6,000 to $10,000 in increased value have been reported
- Businesses have access to the most up to date technology
- In some cases, the presence of a fiber network can attract new businesses to the area
BBT has made a significant investment in fiber optics to deliver high speed broadband to its customers. The cost of installing a fiber network to replace older broadband delivery technologies is an investment that pays off for everyone.
BBT's fiber network is expanding
BBT is one of the nation’s leaders in closing the rural broadband gap with fiber-to-the-premise network investments beginning as early as 2005. Over the years, BBT has expanded the fiber network to include 19 communities. BBT has also been a key resource for the Department of Homeland Security in expanding their capabilities on the border through improved technology.
In 2020, BBT began planning to bring fiber to even more customers. Much of the fiber expansion will be focused on replacing older copper technology in existing service areas.”
“Fiber expansion is part of a bigger overall multi-year plan,” said Russell Moore, BBT General Manager/COO. “We are approaching the plan as aggressively as possible and we are excited at the prospect that numerous communities will be 100% fiber by the end of 2024. BBT will invest approximately $40 million in capital to see this plan through.”
West Texas has changed dramatically through the years and BBT has adapted alongside, introducing innovative solutions in communications. With an eye on prosperity and growth, BBT remains committed to economic development of the communities we serve by investing in critical infrastructure to deliver vital fiber based broadband connectivity throughout our serving territory.